Monday, September 6, 2010

Long weekend adventures


I'm starting to really like it here. That doesn't mean I'm totally comfortable or that I don't go running back to my room sometimes to watch the Sopranos and shut out the noise and chaos of the city, but goddamn this place is amazing.

On Saturday I woke up and went to the Union Square farmers market. There is so much amazing produce it blew my mind, and it happens 3 times a week, five minutes from my house.

Herb and tea man. Purchased small bag of Zatar spice mix.
About as congested as the Halifax farmers market



I spent Saturday afternoon in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, with the wonderful Rachel.
Williamsburg is the hipster capital of the world. Seriously. Note the Salvation Army, which is obviously empty of all good things as it is likely raided by the locals at an insane rate.
We had lunch at a very cute cafe
Later that night I went to a party with some people in my program on a rooftop in Greenwich village. The breeze and the view were incredible. I could get used to that.

Yesterday I spent with a new friend and her friends in another part of Brooklyn. This was real Brooklyn- with music blasting out of every apartment, fried chicken restaurants on every corner and a MUCH cheaper grocery store. The liquor at the liquor store was kept behind bullet proof glass and this painting was found outside:
A fitting tribute to ODB

Today I woke up, had lunch and decided to explore the Lower East Side. On my way I stumbled into a community garden which I absolutely fell in love with
After running into someone from my program (I feel like a real New Yorker when I run into people around the city) I walked around the neighbourhood, checking out a bunch of the Jewish staples- Katz's deli, Russ and Daughters (smoked salmon mecca) and Yonah Schimmel for Knishes!
Lower East Side beauty
One very french block in the LES
I found Jew heaven!
Eating my potato knish in a LES park
Knish-tastic!

3 comments: