So the first week of classes came and went. Thus far I'm feeling pretty good, although definitely intimidated! I'd be lying if I said that I didn't feel a little nauseous when I saw Heidegger on the reading list for my core. Still though, there is no question that I am at an amazing institution with a group of really fascinating and bright students and profs. I can only hope I'll measure up...
In more fun news, I have been spending a lot of time exploring with my good friend Jake. On Friday we wandered around Greenwich village, including a stop at Jane Jacob's New York abode (a necessary stop when on a walking adventure with an urban planning student) and a cute cafe. Then we hit up the Strand bookstore and- holy crap- book heaven! Jake and I spent most of our time on the 3rd floor looking at first additions and rare books.
 |
| Heres Jake dorking out in the philosophy section. He will hate me for posting this. |
Oh and Jake bought a shirt that was too small. Told ya.
Our adventures continued on Saturday night when I attended my first NYC concert on Governor's Island, Panda Bear. The show was mediocre, dull and to be frank, self-indulgent on the artists part as he played super slowed down versions of his songs that left most of our group rather bored. But the island! So amazing. To be on this beach, looking over and Manhattan, traveling by high speed water taxi- it outweighed the boring music and the $7 beer.
 |
| This was not our ferry terminal. But it looked awesome. |
 |
| on the ferry |
 |
| Wow! View! (I'm not talking about your face Jake) |
 |
| Hey, dude, get out of my picture. |
 |
| Blurry stage/view shot from Governor's Island |
After we left the show, Jake, his friend Gilles and I decided that as it was September 11th it would be fitting to visit the source of the two great "towers" of light that had been shining in the sky all night in tribute. We assumed they were sourced in Ground Zero, but after following the base we discovered it to be on the roof of the Battery Parking Lot. The individual "towers" were made from tons of incredibly strong individual lights, coming to make one giant 'beam'. Here are some pretty amazing shots.
 |
| First, from the ground |
 |
| Love this shot. |
|
 |
| The two "towers" of light |
 |
| Doing his best blue steel/modeling OB, a top quality Korean beer in the tradition of Bud Light. |
After visiting the lights, we also wandered over to Ground Zero (this point around midnight). I cannot explain the feeling you experience at that time of night, with almost total quiet, looking over this vast space (while they are constructing already it has not largely moved above ground level). Of course we had to follow up this intense experience with bad Korean beer and pizza.
And to round it off...I ate really well today!!
 |
| Peanut Butter and Company Sandwich. "The Elvis": peanut butter, honey, bananas and I added...BACON. Very healthy. |
 |
| Dinner made by moi for moi. Linguini with smoked salmon from Fairway grocery in Harlem, artichoke hearts, green onions, goat cheese and herbs, with greens. |
those towers of light look awesome
ReplyDelete