Monday, November 29, 2010

Two Canadian ladies and American Thanksgiving

So for Thanksgiving, my mom came and visited, and I moved in with her into a hotel in SoHo. I wish I could say it was relaxing (at times it was quite tiring!) but it was definitely lots of fun. Thursday my mom arrived, and after a stressful moment of thinking she had lost a bag en route from Newark, the bag was recovered and we headed out onto the streets of NY. New York felt like a ghostown on Thanksgiving, with only a few stores open, we grabbed a sandwich at Dean and Deluca (probably the only thing I will ever buy there), and wandered around town. We had Thanksgiving dinner at Bubby's Pie Company with my cousin Jer, and they let us set our own price for the meal, with a section for a charity donation. The food was excellent, although the service was abominably bad (although you can't really get angry on Thanksgiving).

Friday was the dreaded BLACK FRIDAY, when all the stores are apparently wild with shoppers hungry for discounts, but we didn't really find it to match up to the hype (ie no people got trampled). We got some seriously great buys (60 dollars 100% cashmere sweaters at Uniqlo, 40% off everything at Banana Republic, 25% off on oxfords) and didn't feel too crowded. After  along day of shopping, we went to see the incomporable Vanessa Redgrave and James Earle Jones in a staged version of "Driving Miss Daisy" which was poignant, moving and oozing in chemistry by the two leads. Finished the night off with a late dinner in Union Square.

Saturday was just crazy, and I think we probably took on more than we could handle. Took the subway to the Brooklyn Flea, which has now moved into the old Williamsburg Savings Bank, but getting there was less than easy with lots of Subway cancellations (I hate taking the subway on weekends..). Finally made it, and mom had her first pupusa which I think she enjoyed immensely.
Inside the Williamsburg Savings Bank which houses the winter Brooklyn Flea
Me in the Brooklyn Flea



The high-energy ladies we are, we decided to go from one end of New York (Brooklyn) to the MoMa, where we caught an excellent exhibit on New York-based Abstract Expressionists.

Mom with Lichtenstein
And the Rothkos, which we loved
We managed to complete the day with a pair of shoes for mom, and then dinner at an incredibly hipster-esque restaurant called Freemans, located in the Lower East Side down an alley. Thank you internet. We had to wait for an hour and a half (no reservations, obviously), but sat at the bar and chatted to strangers. I had their signature cocktail made with Rye, bitters, and pomegranate molasses syrup and we shared amazing Artichoke dip (although I burned the roof of my mouth real bad, too excited!).

Sunday, moms final day, I had to get some work done, but we still found time to do more shopping, including wandering the Union Square holiday market.
Waffles at the holiday market
We went to see the Kings Speech (excellent movie, highly recommended), sneaking in cupcakes we'd picked up from Butter Lane. Mom agreed they were the best she had ever had. We had our last dinner at ABC Kitchens, the beautiful restaurant attached to ABC Carpet, which was delicious and lovely overall and serves mostly local and organic foods.

Incredible salad! Roast Carrots, and Avocados with bean sprouts, chili oil, sour cream. Mmm

What a great visit, but very tiring, as we walked almost everywhere. I think I need a vacation from this vacation!

3 comments:

  1. oh em gee, that salad looks wicked. also I love Rothko. And you look so pretty !

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I understand, Black Friday is scariest at big box stores and in the suburbs. A lot of Walmarts and Best Buys have serious security on-hand to deal with the crowds.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Becca Yah, I'm pretty sure that if I had gone to a Walmart in rural Alabama I would have gotten trampled. Somehow the shoppers at Banana Republic in SoHo don't behave similarly..how strange..

    @Suuz It was wicked! We also had pretzel crusted calamari. Pretzels!

    ReplyDelete