So my brother came to visit this past weekend, and we spent our time doing a few touristy things and a lot of fun things. Friday he arrived and I took him to Clinton St Baking Company for brunch. We wandered the LES, SoHo, and then through some of Greenwich. That night we met up for dinner in Harlem with Jake at Amy Ruth's. I'd been looking forward to this meal and it definitely matched up to my expectations. I had the Reverend Al Sharpton (Chicken n Waffles), my bro had the Barack Obama (Fried Chicken) with a side of mac and cheese and butter corn, and Jake had the Reggie Harris (Honey Dipped Fried Chicken) with a side of mac and cheese and collard greens (on my recommendation). Add the fact that they bring you homemade cornbread the second you sit down and I'm happy enough I can overlook the fact that my Joe Fresh pleather jacket still smells like fried chicken.
 |
The Reverend Al Sharpton (the meal)
|
Saturday we went to Times Square and although I took some touristy photos of my brother in the square I have been warned not to post any of them. So instead here's me being dorky in the M+M store.
 |
| I'm mostly shocked by the fact that they were 12.99 a pound. Tourist trap. |
I have a theory about Times Square. People who live in NY (myself included) love to hate on it, how its not really New York and its just tourist, commercial overload, its where kitsch comes to die etc etc. And that's all true. But even if we never go there except when relatives are in town or we're going to a show, it's nice to know its there. New York City isn't New York City without it.
 |
| We wandered through Hell's Kitchen, stumbling across a flea market or two |
Saturday night was party night for Halloween (because real Halloween was a Sunday). I went as a flapper because it involved me having to put no time or effort into finding a costume. Here I am with my friend Lili at a party in our building.
Sunday night I decided to check out the famous (or infamous) Greenwich Village Halloween parade. I found the whole thing pretty boring to be honest, and was incredibly frustrated when I couldn't get back from the West side because all of 6th Avenue was barricaded on both sides. I ended up having to Subway home because it was the only way to get to the East Village without walking north of 23rd! Arg!
Finally, tonight, after a long day at the library, I got a chance to see Lewis Black for free at the Union Square Barnes and Noble. This is the kind of thing that I was waiting to discover in this city- that I can see incredibly amazing people for free, at my neighborhood Barnes and Noble. Next week, David Sedaris! Totally getting there early with my friend Caroline to camp out and do school reading and save a spot!
 |
| Lewis Black talks about how much he hates Christmas |
David Sedaris and cornbread are two of my favourite things.
ReplyDelete