Thursday, June 2, 2011

cemeteries, canals, hipster hangouts

View from my apartment window in the Republique
The first few days after I moved into my student residence were somewhat tough. While I was really enjoying getting to know the people in my program, I was super jet lagged Monday and we were in school all day Tuesday and Wednesday- meaning that I basically had no time to appreciate being in Paris, save for the walk by the Invalides on the way to class.

Today is a holiday in Paris, meaning that we don't have class today, or tomorrow because AUP (where our class is taking place, despite being an NYU class) has made it into a long weekend. Alors, last night we went out, first to a cafe (somewhat mediocre) and then for a beer (much needed) and a crepe (with sugar and butter- always good!). I have to say, however, that one of the best parts of the night was speaking french for the entire cab ride home with the cabbie and realizing that I didn't once feel confused or stressed about it. Already I'm feeling the language coming back to me, and I'm really looking forward to my continued improvement!
Crepe!


Today was absolutely gorgeous, so I naturally decided to go read in the cemetery. Well, Pere Lachaise Cemetery that is- where a lot of pretty fantastic people are buried. It was a beautiful way to spend the morning.




Can't miss Jim Morrison's grave
Or Moliere's!
Gorgeous flowers on Edith Piaf's grave
Oscar Wilde's legendary kiss-covered tombstone
 After leaving Pere Lachaise, I jumped on the Metro and headed to the Canal St Martin. After walking along the beautiful Canal, which I recognized from some scenes in Amelie, I stumbled upon an absolutely adorable cafe called "Sesame", which was kind of a strange cross between New York and Paris.
Sesame
Loved this place

I had a bagel...with mild chevre and roast veg and a small salad
Of course, espresso.
Canal Saint-Martin. Lovely.

Just hanging at the Canal
Tomorrow I will wake up early and hit one of the local produce markets, then off to a school trip to the Invalides and Napolean's tomb!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Michelle! Your pictures are AMAZING and I love reading about your adventures in Paris. Awwww I would so love to be there right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessica! Hope your summer is going well!

    ReplyDelete