Monday, February 14, 2011

valentimes etc

I'm back! So before I get to this past weekend which totally wicked awesome, I should say that things have generally been pretty awesome since I got back.

One highlight was going to visit my friend Jake at his new pad in Harlem. Originally planning to cook dinner and then go see "Inside Job", that documentary about the financial crisis, Jake, myself, and our friend Alex found ourselves suddenly preparing dinner for about 10 of Jake's Columbia friends. Jake and I ran around Harlem getting food. We ended up at Sea & Sea Fish Market, which was a really cool fishmarket where in addition to a large selection of fresh fish, they also will steam or fry your fish for you in the back. Since we were cooking for so many, we ended up buying mussels.


Rows of funny looking faces looked up at us


The meal was a huge success. We served our mussels in white wine with a big dish of garlicy roast veggies and lots of bread. Also, someone brought sweet potato pie, which I'd never had and is truly delicious.

This weekend Joe came to visit, and we had a really really lovely time. Friday night of his visit, he cooked me a really yummy meal (pasta with asparagus, mushroom and artichoke hearts) and then we finally got to hit up this bar I'd been dying to see for a while with my friend Drew and his friend Samantha. It's called Barcade and in addition to having a huge selection of delicious microbrews on tap, they also have what must be over 20 arcade games from the 80s. The theme of the night was East versus West so we sampled East and West coast IPAs and the speakers pumped out East and West coast punk tunes, while we played Miss Packman and Sega driving games.

Joe focuses on the road
Frogger!
Saturday was kind of pseudo-valentines day for Joe and I. We exchanged gifts, which we kept really minimal. I got him a blue oxford shirt, knit him a scarf, and made him a goofy card and he got me flowers and a graphic novel which I'm excited to start reading.
Really exciting things taking place on the phone right now. Not.
What a goof.
Very dirty mirror at Jack's Coffee in Greenwich
Joe getting our drinks,
Two Joes! (Wearing a hat I knitted him)
Saturday night we went to an adorable little Italian restaurant Joe had read about online called Piccolo Angolo, which is a small family-run operation in the West Village. I forgot to take pictures of the food but I had linguine and meatballs that came with two meatballs the size of my fist (no joke). I ended up taking home an entire meatball. Joe had lobster cannelloni which was absolutely delicious.

Joe looking good (in his new shirt :) )
We didn't order dessert but the lovely father and his 8 year old daughter next to us who we'd been chatting with insisted we take half of their tartufo. Mmm!
Even though we were so full from dinner, Joe couldn't resist stopping at this cookie shop on 8th st. It was a really incredible Peanut Butter and Chocolate cookie, although I have no clue how we managed to eat more!
Part 1 of my Valentines Day gift. Graphic novel awesomeness

Part 2 (it arrived by delivery, and totally surprised me)
My other Valentine from the lovely Claire. Claire, I absolutely LOVE that you wrote this on the outside of the envelope.
Sunday we had brunch with my friend Laura who was visiting from Toronto with her bf Hartley (who freakily enough, knew Joe from undergrad!) at Bubby's Pie Company. They were skeptical of the 45 minute wait, but were definitely impressed with Bubby's biscuits and incredibly pancakes.

Off to bed now, as I have a long day of work tomorrow. But thanks for reading friends! I'm thinking of all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment