It's official. Fall is here! My favourite season in New York has arrived. I knew it a week or so ago when I pulled out my cable knit sweater, and two nights ago when I had to take out my flannel PJs (it wasn't that cold, the heat has not yet been turned on in our building). I love going to bed when its chilly though, and I love scarves and warm drinks and autumn air. I've been taking lots of nice walks and drinking lots of chai lattes. Life is good.
Last weekend, after feeling like we had forgotten about doing fun New York things, Caroline and I had another one of our awesome adventures. It began with a visit to the Met, a walk through the European Art collection, and then a visit to the Met's rooftop sculpture garden for (
very strong) cocktails. I never thought I'd wander through the Met's Greek + Roman sculpture collection tipsy, but there's a first for everything. We had some seriously good laughs.
 |
| Roof of the Met |
 |
| Watching the sun go down |
After our Met adventures, we hit up one of my favourite vegan restaurants in the city (and a great restaurant in general!) called
Candle Cafe. We shared the mezze platter, which is composed of olives, quinoa tabbule, this amazing fig jam/spread, and super smoky hummus. For my main, I had a smoked tempeh and grilled veg sandwich. Everything was so hearty and filling.
But of course we still had room for a bit of dessert. So we headed over to the famous
Dylan's Candy Bar, which neither of us had visited. We got milkshakes (yah, we ate at a vegan restaurant and then went for milkshakes. What of it?) and wandered the candy store.
 |
| The stairs at Dylan's |
 |
Celebrities fill these containers with their fav candy.
Nas likes Hersheys Kisses, and ONLY Hersheys kisses. |
Lots of other awesome NY adventures in the past week. Monday, Rose (my Paris bud) and I went to the new UES location of
Laduree (the famous macaron maker from Paris) where they apparently fly all their macarons in from Paris (isn't that insane?). I got to taste their exclusive NY flavor though- Cinnamon Raisin. It tasted like a cinnamon bun macaron, and was obviously amazing. Tuesday, thanks to my wonderful roommate, I got to check out a taping of the Colbert Report! Afterwards we got empanadas in Hell's Kitchen and talked about how awesome it was that Drew got to chat to Colbert (out of character!) about South Carolina. Wednesday night, Tomas and I went to see a film at the New York Film Festival, called Le Havre, which was at times heartbreaking and moving, but mostly charming and uplifting. Last night, I did nothing, because god knows I needed it.
 |
| Waiting in line for the Colbert Report! Camera credit Alyssa, photo credit Random Dude. |
Colbert out of character??
ReplyDeleteYah man! The only time in public he'll ever lose his faux-conservative comedic shtick is for audience members at tapings! Its so disorienting!
ReplyDelete