Sunday, August 29, 2010

The arrival!

I've now been in New York for just over 24 hours and all I can think is..wow this place is overwhelming. The size of the city, the buildings, how well dressed everyone is, NYU as a university, the chaos and terror of Bed Bath and Beyond overrun by NYU students and their pushy parents (mine included), trying to find a cell phone plan that isn't a rip off but actually guarantees me a working phone... But then there is something amazing about how overwhelming it is. Something exhilarating.  It is like taking all that anonymity and excitement of Toronto and multiplying it and adding much taller skyscrapers and TONS of effing people.

We started moving me into residence today and it all went quite well. My roommates weren't there (one had to run home for a nephews birth, the other 2 haven't yet arrived), but the suite really is spacious, with a small kitchen and nice size (although somewhat ugly looking) common area (which hopefully I can work with the roommates to beautify). But my room is great, and sits on the corner of the building with 2 GIANT windows which let in an amazing amount of light. The room itself has a good amount of space and doesn't feel cramped at all (it definitely has room for the small air mattress I brought for guests to stay on- hint hint!). The bed is incredibly springy and I'm hoping to find a bed board asap so my back doesn't die. I will post pictures as soon as the room is complete!

Tonight I will spend again in the hotel with my parents as the room isn't totally put together and the idea of sleeping there alone sans roommates is rather depressing. We are going for dinner in the Meatpacking district, a short walk from where we are in Soho.

I'm really trying to stay calm, and even though fears and anxieties and the "overwhelming-ness" of it all are making me feel on the verge of a panic attack, I'm trying to remind myself to take things one day at a time. I got so much done today, and I will tomorrow, and I will the day after. Things might go wrong but that's just life and I have to accept it (as much as I try to manipulate everything to perfection). The city seems huge now but once I have a neighbourhood and some people to explore it with, I think it will feel less so. I worry a lot about school but I know that once it starts, I will just kind of 'fall into it' like I always did in undergrad.

Anyways, thats it for now. I miss you all. You all know who you are.

(And Sarah- the CD was lovely and the note was lovelier. You are such an incredibly dear friend to me).

3 comments:

  1. Read "Here is New York" by E.B White. Then you'll be okay. But maybe wait a few weeks. yaaaaa. Also ride on the subway and listen to Nas and Black Star. Preferably an above ground portion of the subway. do that ASAP. yaaaaaa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle!
    Over-worrying and over-stressing is totally normal when you get to a new school or city or peer group, and you're doing all 3 at once! So don't be so hard on yourself, OKAY?! ;)
    I know for certain and you will have the time of your life! So enjoy!!
    Toronto misses you dearly (and by that I mean we all - you know who we are)
    Can't wait to come and visit!
    xo
    M

    ReplyDelete